Monday, February 21, 2011

When you meet me in the garden with your horns all hung with cedar

I missed another weekend of this, but srsly guys, I'm really going to try to do this every week. And since it's snowy and I can't go anywhere, tonight seems like a good night to post.

So I decided to do some Okkervil River for this evening. I can't believe how long ago it was that I was bargaining with Mr. Stacy about going to see them at our dinky little 400 Bar (or seeing Esthero at some club, don't recall which one). I think that was 2005? Mr. Stacy won, and off to the 400 Bar we went, and believe that you are witnessing a rare moment when I tell you that Mr. Stacy was, you know, right. One of the best shows I've seen. And you will never see these guys in that tiny of a venue ever again.

So then I ran head-on into the problem that picking only one song by these guys is pretty much impossible. Even though the band line-up changes constantly, I can usually find a handful of songs on each album put out that I absolutely adore. So do I go with an official music video? I don't think they made actual videos for their best songs. Go with some of their newer stuff? I like a few of those tunes. Or should I just go all hipster and play the older stuff, because man, they were just so much better back then? Yeah, let's do that one. Even though they are still good.

They are just a good band. It's really that simple.



Okay, why don't we just do two.



Okkervil River - Black Sheep Boy Appendix

Okkervil River - Don't Fall in Love with Everyone You See

We might have to re-visit these guys at a later date.

No comments: